Our Guiding Principles include the Object of Rotary, Five Avenues of Service, and Six Areas of Focus.
These principles have been developed over the years to provide Rotarians with a strong, common purpose and direction. They serve as a foundation for our relationships with each other and the action we take in the world.
Object of Rotary
The Object of Rotary is to encourage and foster the ideal of service as a basis of worthy enterprise and, in particular, to encourage and foster:
- First: The development of acquaintance as an opportunity for service;
- Second: High ethical standards in business and professions; the recognition of the worthiness of all useful occupations; and the dignifying of each Rotarian’s occupation as an opportunity to serve society;
- Third: The application of the ideal of service in each Rotarian’s personal, business, and community life;
- Fourth: The advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and peace through a world fellowship of business and professional persons united in the ideal of service.
Five Avenues of Service
We channel our commitment to service at home and abroad through five Avenues of Service, which are the foundation of club activity.
Club Service focuses on strengthening fellowship and ensuring the smooth functioning of the club.
Vocational Service involves club members serving others through their professions and aspiring to high ethical standards. Rotarians, as business leaders, share skills and expertise through their vocations, and they inspire others in the process.
Community Service is the opportunity Rotarians have to implement club projects and activities that improve life in the local community.
- International Service encompasses efforts to expand Rotary’s humanitarian reach around the world and to promote world understanding and peace. It includes everything from contributing to PolioPlus to helping Rotary Youth Exchange students adjust to their host countries.
- Youth Service recognizes the positive change implemented by youth and young adults involved in leadership development activities, community and international service projects, and exchange programs that enrich and foster world peace and cultural understanding.
Seven Areas of Focus
The Rotary Foundation supports local and global projects in the seven areas of focus:
- Peacebuilding and conflict prevention/resolution.
- Disease prevention and treatment.
- Water and sanitation.
- Maternal and child health.
- Basic education and literacy.
- Economic community development.
- The environment.
There is no limit to the service projects that fit within the guiding principals. If you have questions about partnering with the Rotary Club of Oyster Point about a potential project, please do not hesitate to contact an officer.